Sunday 21 February 2016

At the Range - Amateur Custom Fitting

I have long been convinced that adjustable drivers are not benefiting most golfers. The way I see it is that instead of getting someone who is qualified to fit you for a driver, people with little knowledge of golf and physics think they can do the job themselves. I had a wonderful time at the range the other day listening to two young men fitting themselves for drivers. They were both quite powerful and clearly had some golfing ability, however, they both hit the ball incredibly high. I overheard something along the lines of the following conversation:

"I hit it so far with this driver I just hit it too high."
"Why don't you try this one?"
"I will but I need an extra-stiff shaft."
"This is just stiff but I need extra-stiff too."

After a few shots...

"No still too high. Want to try my driver?"
"Yeah sure."

Five shots later...

"How do you hit this it just goes right?"
"It's because I swing it faster. Let me try your shaft in my driver."

After a few minutes of searching for the correct wrench, followed by some clicking noises...

"That's definitely better."
"Are you sure it still looks high."
"It's still high but it's lower."
"I'm going to try changing the loft on my driver."

Following the sound of the wrench being used again...

"Slightly better but it needs to be lower. What setting is yours on?"
"Mine is already on the lowest setting because if you swing fast you don't need much loft."
"Why do they make it so I can only change it 2 degrees?"
"The tour versions of drivers have less loft I should get one of those."
"I think I need to get a tour driver with a stiffer shaft."
"Maybe if we move the weights..."

After getting the wrench out again...

"Yes! I cleared the trees at the back of the range then!"
"Wow that's like 320."
"If I put the weight into fade setting it goes lower and further. Try it."

More wrench action is heard...

"No that didn't work it makes it go left."
"Really? Try it with this shaft then."

Even more clicking...

"Oh yeah you're right it goes straight now."
"See it's all about what shaft you have."
"Yeah maybe they've got an X flex in the shop."
"I doubt it they don't normally stock them because so few people swing fast enough."
"That's a shame. I'm going to try my 3 wood next."
"Me too. I've got a new adjustable one."

To be continued...

As much as this is a slight (only slight) exaggeration there are certain lessons that can be learned from people like this:

1. Get fitted for your driver and leave it in that setting.

2. Leave your torque wrench at home.

3. Your swing affects shot shape more than any shaft can.

4. Leave the wrench at home.

5. Range finders can be up to 70 yards out. Mine said the back of the range was only 250.

6. Stop adjusting your poor driver! Leave the wrench at home!

7. You cannot judge distance with your eyes. I thought their shots were 20 yards short of the back of the range.

8. Please leave the wrench at home.


I would like to finish with a plea. To Titliest, Callaway, Taylormade, Ping, and all equipment manufactures; I am begging you to make a silent wrench!

No comments:

Post a Comment