Thursday 7 January 2016

A Beginners Guide To The Gym

At the beginning of a new year gyms experience a peak in memberships from people determined to improve their lives in the coming year. Unfortunately for these people they generally lose interest within the first few months and return to their old lifestyles. In September of this year I made the most significant change to my lifestyle I have made for a while; I started going to the gym. After I injured my elbow in the summer I realised that if I increased the amount of golf I was playing without considering my fitness I would keep getting injured. Since then I have been going to the gym consistently 3 times per week and I would like to offer some advice on how to make going to the gym a habit and never miss a workout.

Find a good environment for you

One of the reasons I put off going to gym was because I was put off by the environment in some gyms. I found the whole setting very intimidating to enter as a beginner from the array of machines to people far more physically able than me. I therefore decided to find the smallest gym I could to ease into the process. I would advise taking a similar approach to this for anyone who is uncomfortable in the gym. If you only have larger gyms available to you then if possible try to go at quiet times of day until you get used to it. While I know I work better in a smaller environment some people find they are more motivated in a busier gym so if that is you look for that instead.

Find the right trainer for you

When people ask me who is a good golf teacher I tell them to go to a few different professionals and see who they work best with. I would advise people take the same approach when looking for a personal trainer. Just as with golf coaches some trainers are better than others but different people will perform better with different trainers. I was able to find someone I work well with immediately but if I had not I would have looked around. I knew I was looking for someone who would push me but at the same time not push me in a way that would deter me from returning to the gym and I was able to find the perfect trainer for me. I also knew I needed a lot of guidance and finding someone to give me this was important, but for other people this may not be the case. In golf I know my game quite well so I look for a coach that will take my lead and this will be the case for some people when finding a trainer.

Make it enjoyable

It is far easier to do something if you enjoy it. I have never forced myself to go to the gym and every time I go I am excited to see what I can do next. I really enjoy the process of learning new skills and developing myself so it is easy for me to enjoy going to the gym. But what if you are not looking forward to it? I suggest doing everything you can to make it a fun experience. This could mean treating your time at the gym as time when you get to listen to music, or rewarding yourself by going somewhere special on the way home. Again, experimentation is key to find what works for you.

Focus on how you feel

The biggest benefit I have gained from the gym is the increased energy I have. If you start visiting the gym just to get stronger or to look better you are missing out of how it makes you feel. I would urge anyone starting a fitness program to avoid looking at the scales and avoid looking at yourself in the mirror for the first few weeks. Image and weight are two reasons people go to the gym and by taking away any signs of progress in these areas you have no choice but to judge success by feeling. I am not just suggesting this because I am not interested in image, but because I really think it can help anyone appreciate the benefits of fitness more. There is nothing like waking up in a morning feel better than you did the day before.


While this advice is intended mostly for people who have never used a gym before I am sure that by following these steps anyone can increase their chances of being successful in the quest to improve their fitness. I can safely say that working on my fitness was one of the best things I did for my life last year and I hope that others enjoy the same feeling as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment